The Township of Lawrence was formed in 1697. It was originally called Maidenhead. The eastern boundary of Maidenhead, the Province Line, was the dividing line between the two original colonies of East and West Jersey. The name was changed to Lawrence on January 24, 1816 in honor of Captain James Lawrence, a naval hero of the War of 1812.
The Academy of Maidenhead, later known as The Lawrenceville School, was founded in 1810 and is still in operation today. The section of campus known as the Olmstead Circle, which includes nine late nineteenth century buildings, as well as several nearby buildings have been designated a National Historic Landmark
The Lawrenceville Female Seminary was founded in 1834 and occupied what is now known as the Old Davis House. It closed in 1883.
Many of the homes of early settlers of Maidenhead can still be found in the village of Lawrenceville as well as the surrounding Lawrence Township.
The old Maidenhead Church still stands on Main Street, and is known today as the Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville. It was originally built in 1764 and was enlarged in 1833 and 1853.
The old cemetery of the Presbyterian Church still exists as well as the Upper Cemetery and the Princessville Cemetery. Veterans from several wars are buried in the Upper and Princessville cemeteries.
The Main Street Historic District of the village of Lawrenceville was listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places in 1972. This was one of the first registered historic districts in the state of New Jersey.
A Guide to Lawrenceville's Historic Landmarks (3rd Printing -- $7.00) is available in the Township Clerk's office.
Visit the township website.